Concrete is one of the most popular flooring options for high-traffic areas of commercial and residential properties.
It is durable, easy to apply, and economical. However, in the past, concrete flooring hasn’t always looked that great. The good news is that today, concrete floor staining and epoxy floor coatings can update concrete surfaces and make them blend right into even the most stylish of properties.
Premier Concrete Coatings of Dublin, Ohio, is the area’s leading specialist in commercial and residential concrete floor options that revitalize existing floors while making them stronger, more attractive, and easier to care for.
Concrete Floor Staining
There are two methods for achieving stained concrete.
Acid stains cause a chemical reaction with the concrete and create unique variegated color effects, depending on the concrete they are staining. Acid stain colors can easily be manipulated to create the effect of granite or marble at a fraction of the cost of the real thing.
Water-based stains cost less than acid stains but can produce the same effects when applied properly. Water-based stains offer a wider choice of colors for the craftsman to work with and are ideal for creating custom designs or logos on the concrete.
The Staining Process
Here are the basic steps for staining a concrete floor:
- Technicians sand the existing concrete until it is free of bumps and rough spots.
- They then clean the concrete with a solution that includes a degreaser. After this, the concrete is left to dry thoroughly.
- When the floor is dry, any cracks or rough patches in the concrete are repaired and smoothed. Dust is vacuumed away.
- Technicians fill an airless sprayer with either acid- or water-based stain and apply the stain to the concrete.
- When using water-based sprayers to apply the stain, technicians work in a circular motion to avoid pooling. When using acid-based sprayers to apply the stain, a second person must follow the technician with a broom to work the stain into the concrete. After this, the technician applies a neutralizer to remove any leftover acid.
- When the floor’s surface is completely dry, the technician applies clear acrylic epoxy sealant using a paint roller with a synthetic head to ensure a smooth surface. Water-based stains benefit from the application of an additional coat of wax after the sealant has dried.
Epoxy Floor Coatings
Commercial Epoxy Floor Coatings
Applying an epoxy floor commercial coating is another way to bring concrete floors in line with the aesthetics of a commercial building while improving the floors’ strength and making cleaning easier. Concrete with an epoxy coating is already widely used in restaurants, car showrooms, hospitals, and other large buildings.
Residential Epoxy Floor Coatings
Epoxy-coated concrete floors are gaining popularity in residential buildings. Homeowners have been using epoxy to update and beautify traditional concrete in areas like garages that see heavy-duty use. Epoxy-coated floors are also being seen more often in elegant areas of the home like kitchens and living rooms.
Garage Floor Coatings
There are few places in a building that see more wear and tear than a garage, and its flooring gets the brunt of it. The elements blow in from outside, tires track in debris, tools are dropped, and oil drips from cars.
Even though garages often serve double duty as storage and workspaces, until recently they haven’t been high on design priorities.
Epoxy floor coatings are game-changers, providing great design options alongside excellent strength and durability.
Basement Epoxy Coatings
Homeowners with basements need to put them to full use, tapping their space for storage, doing the laundry, playing pool, and housing spillover guests, to name a few.
Every basement owner knows water is a basement’s enemy, and concrete floors do a better job keeping the enemy at bay than earth. Better still is concrete coated with epoxy. The epoxy creates a beautiful, non-porous surface that stops water seeping through from below and simplifies the clean-up of any water that spills from elsewhere.
Pool Deck Epoxy Coatings
Pool decks have to be safe and functional, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be beautiful. Epoxy pool deck coatings are long-lasting and they protect the deck from sun and water damage while adding to the beauty of the pool area.
Decorative Epoxy Concrete Coatings
With a vast range of finish choices, epoxy concrete floor coatings offer design potential and functionality in one package. Decorative concrete epoxy finishes can resemble quartz, marble, or terrazzo but cost significantly less and are easier to maintain. Solid and flake colors can blend with any color pallet, making floors easier to integrate with design schemes than ever before.
The Epoxy Floor Coating Process
The process for epoxy floor coating is as follows:
- Technicians clean the concrete by shot blasting and diamond grinding. Powerful vacuums attached to the cleaning apparatus prevent the dust from escaping.
- Technicians use menders and fillers to repair pits and cracks in the cleaned concrete, giving the epoxy floor coating a smooth foundation.
- Technicians apply an epoxy base coat.
- Technicians hand-cast colored flakes to the base coat.
- After the base coat is cured and completely dry, technicians flatten vertical flakes by scraping them, then vacuum the surface to free it of dust and debris
- The last step is the application of clear UV-resistant polyurea floor coatings that help ensure the epoxy surface’s long life.
Other than Dublin, Premier Concrete Coatings provides it’s services in the following areas;
Premier Concrete Coatings is Dublin, Ohio’s number one provider of commercial and residential concrete coatings, concrete floor staining, and epoxy flooring solutions. Independently owned and operated since 2013, we pride ourselves on satisfied customers and fully guarantee all of our work. Our technicians are the best in the business. They are highly qualified and receive regular training to keep up with new technologies and best practices.
We use only the finest quality materials and offer outstanding craftsmanship. Call (614) 918-7345 today to find out about our services and why Dublin, Ohio, customers rate us so highly.